Client: Nypro / NP Medical – Sold to Baxter Healthcare
- Create a new IV valve that does not become occluded with blood during disengagement.
Unique Features and Accomplishments
- Positive fluid displacement (anti-draw back) during disengagement to prevent blood coagulation and occlusion in the valve.
- The primary accomplishment was to design the valve with a unique anti-draw back feature while retaining the traditional IV valve form factor and typical force required to actuate the valve.
- An additional accomplishment was to design the product with a minimum number of parts and optimal assembly processes in order to keep cost-per-unit in manufacturing low.
- Method employed seals off the fluid path to the top of the valve, forcing the fluid forward rather than backward when the syringe is removed to prevent any possibility of blood occluding the valve.
- Millions currently sold each year in the U.S.
- Design purchased by Baxter Healthcare and sold as the CLEARLINK Luer Activated Valve and the ClearLINK IV Access System
- Patent #: 6,755,391
While all projects benefit from our development process and expertise in design, engineering, and in-house rapid prototyping, this project highlights our expertise in: