- Symbient was approached by SafeShot with a semi-functional rapid prototype design of a 3 mL auto-retracting safety needle syringe and was tasked with refining the design for manufacturing and creating a set of prototype molds.
- Injection mold and assemble complete units under an aggressive schedule for demonstration to investors and potential partners.
- Created design for a 1 mL version using the same intellectual property utilized in the 3 mL version.
Unique Features and Accomplishments
- Redesigned the syringe to optimize its manufacturability.
- Quickly fabricated and iterated molds, enabling achievement of the syringe’s complex functions of:
- Engaging the plunger to the needle hub at the end of the travel
- Disengaging the brake
- Withdrawing the needle into the barrel
- Developed a braking mechanism that both:
- Allows the user to stop the plunger at any position of travel, replicating typical syringe function.
- Disengages when reaching the end of the plunger travel to allow actuation of the safety mechanism.
- Developed robust and creatively designed seals that hold the vacuum used to retract the needle into the barrel using our prototype silicone LIM molding system.
- Met aggressive targets for high volume manufacturing costs through innovative design to minimize the number of components.
- Developed custom non-coring needle with external texture at the blunt end which allowed for insert molding.
- US Patent Application: 80,097,306