Head of Technical Engineering
Espir has 20 years of engineering experience, including 15 years in biotech during which he designed microfluidic devices and instrumentation for medical device and bioscience companies. He spent 7 years at Life Technologies and 3 years each at Sequenome and Aurora Biosciences. He earned a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering at Kansas State University.
Personal Interests: Raising his 2 kids with his wife, the movie Ironman, and the quote: “Try not. Do… or do not. There is no try.” – Yoda.
Notable Products Developed
- Microfluidic cartridge that performs a sandwich assay using glucose as a marker
- Miniature 9 well plate for PCR development
- Microfluidic platform for implantable drug delivery device
- Injection molded layers of a microfluidic detection platform and onboard reagent pack
- Isothermal DNA amplification (PCR) and cartridge with colorimetric detection
- Microfluidic chip with micro-channels to mix and deliver sample, lyophilized reagents and buffers to an optical chip that uses surface-sensing to spectrographically examine biochemical samples.
- Microfluidic cartridge to prepare blood sample with lyophilized reagents and deliver to a silicon chip for fluorescent detection.
- Plasmid DNA large scale purification instrument. Systems architect, inventor, project manager. See: BenchPro® 2100 Plasmid Purification System
- Protein immunoblot lab automation instrument. Systems architect, inventor, project manager.
- Protein separation instrument including design, prototyping, and testing. Systems architect, inventor, project manager.
Areas of Expertise
- Fluid dynamics, microfluidics design and development of disposables
- Instrument design
- Systems engineering
- Project Management
- Design for high-volume plastic injection molding, manufacturing and assembly
- Concept development
- Electromechanical integration
- Rapid prototyping, CNC machining, injection molding
- 12/549,311 Apparatus for and Method of Processing Biological Samples
- 11/082,462 Device for Aspirating, Manipulating, Mixing and Dispensing Nano-Volumes of Liquids
- D669,597 Laboratory apparatus
- 13/311,519 Detection Apparatus
- D638953 Laboratory Apparatus
- 11/966,747 Detection Apparatus
- 13/147,084 Apparatus for and Method of Automated Processing of Biological Samples
- 29/453,696 Pipette Device
- 29/390,065 Laboratory Apparatus
- 14/017,188 Remotely-Executed Medical Therapy Device
- 09/591,803 Microvolume Liquid Dispensing Device