Client: Becton Dickinson and Company (BD)
- Design a lateral flow cartridge that integrates with a custom reader.
- Design a nasopharyngeal sample and buffer system for use with lateral flow cartridge.
Unique Features and Accomplishments
- Incorporated industrial design to meet requirements for ergonomics and brand conformance.
- Optimized performance of lateral flow test strips through mechanical design that prevented sample leaks, occlusion of flow, strip movement and any other interference with assay.
- Designed a sample collection and buffer mixing tube, cap and dispensing tip.
- Fast tracked the project, completing the product design and transferring it to manufacturing, within the 4 month deadline.
- Required extensive use of our stereolithography (SLA) machine in order to create multiple small, highly accurate, design iterations necessary to develop the lateral flow cartridge. Our in-house rapid prototyping capability enabled us to achieve the aggressive development schedule.