- Develop a contact lens case that actively cleans contact lenses with the help of cleaning solution, eliminating the need to rub lenses by hand and use separate enzymatic cleaners.
- Research and specify elastomeric materials that have a stronger affinity for the contaminants that soil contact lenses than the contact lenses themselves.
- Develop a concept into a product that can be manufactured in high volumes and below a target cost per unit.
Unique Features and Accomplishments
- This project made extensive use of our materials expertise to identify, quickly evaluate and select an elastomer which met mechanical and functional requirements.
- Materials selected included elastomers that attract and bond with common contact lens contaminants. The affinity is strong enough that it removes the contaminants and cleans the contact lenses.
- Incorporated human factors in accommodating the wide variation in sizes of contact lenses.
- As a consumer product, our design met numerous industrial design requirements that were critical to marketing and ergonomic purposes.
- US Patents applications: 80,185,026; 80,185,025; 80,185,024; 80,185,023; 80,184,508
- US Patent 7,395,575 “Contact lens treatment apparatus having lens capture projections”
While all projects benefit from our development process and expertise in design, engineering, and in-house rapid prototyping, this project highlights our expertise in: