Gas-Cell Powered Safety Syringe
Client: LOM Medical
- Design and build a retractable-needle safety syringe that leverages the client’s patent portfolio. Their patents cover gas-cell technology that provides a low-cost, disposable power source for medical products.
Unique Features and Accomplishments
- Developed the first fully-functioning prototype of the gas-cell technology.
- Created a new safety syringe that uses the stored energy in the gas-cell to propel the needle back into the body of the syringe.
- Designed and incorporated key features including:
- Usage procedures that mimics those of a regular syringe
- Cost competitive with other safety syringes
- Superior safety and lower actuation force than other safety syringes
- Incorporated creative, readily-manufacturable features that accomplish a five-step needle retraction operation that is actuated in a single step when the user depresses the plunger at the end of travel.